Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 20:24:42 +0700
From: "Ronald C.Dailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Timeout Expired

On 2000-07-01 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
   >Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 09:44:34 -700
   >MIME version: 1.0
   >Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit
   >--tcpsmtp070010200008031046
   >Ron:
   >I can't recall that USR made 9600 bps Sportsters. That doesn't
   >mean I think they didn't. There were a fair number of 2400 bps
   >modems with MNP during the mid-80s. I have a Practical Peripherals
   >2400 bps modem from that period with NNP.
   >Walter Scott

My friend bought an Everex external 2400 with MNP, but the earlier 2400 
bps modems, such as the Hayes Smartmodem 2400 internal from the early 
1980s (prob. around 1981-2) didn't have any form of error correction and 
cost a whole lot more than any Zoom ever made <g>.  I still have a 
CompuCom Speedmodem 9600 that is basically a 2400 bps modem with MNP2-4, 
MNP5, and the CSC protocol that would talk to another modem of the same 
type at 9600.  However, Compucom was late to the game, having brought 
out the Speedmodem around 1990.  

Microcom made the first MNP modems, of course, since they owned the 
protocol at the time.  Compaq bought Microcom a few years back and they 
own the rights to MNP.  I don't think there were many MNP modems before 
1985, if any, but if there were, they were probably really expensive.  
Practical Peripherals was an independent company at that time, as I 
recall, and had a good reputation.  They are all gone now, except for 
the name of Hayes being used by Zoom on some new products.

USR started using error correction pretty early, but USR modems weren't 
cheap at all, especially Courier models.  They were way out of my price 
range at the time <g>.    

Ronald Dailey


-- 
RCD

Net-Tamer V 1.12.0 - Registered



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to