On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 7:56 PM, Masayuki Hatta <mha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, thanks for comment!

> >> Basically I made them for my own convenience,  and still need to be
> >> polished, but I think those are ok quality.  I'm a Debian developer, so
> >> can upload them to the official Debian archive if you want.
> >
> > Wow. That would be .. not sure. Good and bad, mostly because we are not
> that
> > stable, and do not use version numbers ...
>
> Yes, that's what I meant "if you want".

OK, yes, I think I want that. The positives outweigh the negatives.

> I can put them into
> "experimental", but I guess most suitable way for now is setting up a
> PPA(personal package archive).  Then we can do "apt-get install
> opencog".  I can setup one at my own server, but if you want I can
> help setting up it somewhere under opencog.org.

Whatever is easiest...

> Building opencog & friends is quite complicated for newbies like me,
> so setting up an official PPA would help them a lot.

Yes, that is one of the big positives to having a package.

> BTW, many software in Debian these days doesn't have version numbers
> or the concept of "release" (simply uses Git repo snapshot), so that's
> ok.

OK. We are constantly fixing bugs or adding features, so if someone
complains
"this doesn't work" , our standard answer is "use the latest".

> https://github.com/opencog/moses/pull/49
> https://github.com/opencog/cogutils/pull/80
>
> I'm not sure these fixes are appropriate, so please review carefully.

Nil merged them. They looked OK to me.

> >> Also I killed BackwardChainerUTest in atomspace for now.
> >
> > Hmm. That always passes for me on the current Debian stable, always.  I'm
> > guessing now that maybe it is a guile-2.0 vs guile-2.2 bug.   I bet it
> will
> > pass with guile-2.2
> >
> > https://github.com/opencog/atomspace/issues/1318
>
> Yes, as I said in that thread, I'm still using guile 2.0.13.  Now
> guile-2.2 packages are entering into Debian unstable (still in NEW
> queue), so I will try it later.

OK. Tell the Debian folks that 2.2 really is much better than 2.0. I've
been using
it for 2+ years now, from when it was 2.1.x and it was consistently better
in just
about every way. (I can also tell you where its broken, but that's a
different matter).

--linas

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/CAHrUA34YWyPNE-L%3DzrcAuz%3DWXkZ9e-grTam%2B4LEKn%3DBiG0CZqA%40mail.gmail.com.