Hi,
I have no idea about the new metadata stuff. But if that doesn't work, wouldn't
it be easier to just move the description stuff from Node to Object? The name
is already in the Object class, having the description there too would make a
lot of sense anyway. And I don't this this would be a major refactor, right? Of
course we need Robert's buy-in for this.

For sure I would avoid using the name to encode all that info, that would
really be ugly. I'd rather go back to the idea of predefined mapping among map
channels and texture units...

Luca