Hi Luca, Jean-Sébastien

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 12:46 PM, Luca Vezzadini
<luca.vezzad...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I have no idea about the new metadata stuff. But if that doesn't work,
> wouldn't it be easier to just move the description stuff from Node to
> Object? The name is already in the Object class, having the description
> there too would make a lot of sense anyway. And I don't this this would be a
> major refactor, right? Of course we need Robert's buy-in for this.

If the new meta-data system is going to support all osg::Object derived
classes, then all we need to do is just wait until it is complete. I think
the bigger issue is being able to support older versions of osg and older
formats like .osg/.ive.

How about adding all the material descriptions to the root node of the
model? Each material would have a separate entry in the description list of
the node. This would require no changes to osg and would support the older
model formats.

We would just need to add the material name to the description string.
Example:

# osgmaxexp material info
Material Name

# Maps
Diffuse 0 images/diffuse.jpg 100
Bump 1 images/bump.jpg 80

Does this seem like an acceptable solution?

Cheers,
Farshid