Ciao,

So, looks like we have a decision, cool!
To summarize, if I've got it right, for every texture map in the material we
will find a description string like the following (assuming we use the "|" as a
separator):
Diffuse|Unit_0|c:\program files\whatever\file.png|80

where:
- the first field is the texture map name followed by a "|" sign;
- the second field is the map file name, followed by a "|" sign
- the third field is the blend amount (in the [0-100] range)

Any additional parameter that might be needed by the specific channel would
just be an additional field (and it would be up to the parser to know its
meaning of course).

Is that right?

Note that I would avoid the "=" and just use the "|" to separate all fields;
this makes it easier to tokenize the string (I'm lazy...).

About bump, as far as I know Max allows you to create for that channel a map of
type "normal" and therefore you should be able to distinguish between regular
bump mapping and normal mapping. Actually Max allows even to specify what space
to use for the normal map (tangent, local, screen...) so maybe we could even
add that extra param in the description string.

Anything we can do here to help on this, apart from testing? Can't wait to give
it a try...

     Luca