Hi Farshid,

If the new meta-data system is going to support all osg::Object derived
classes, then all we need to do is just wait until it is complete. I
think the bigger issue is being able to support older versions of osg
and older formats like .osg/.ive.

Yes.

How about adding all the material descriptions to the root node of the
model? Each material would have a separate entry in the description list
of the node. This would require no changes to osg and would support the
older model formats.

I would prefer to add it to the description string of the node(s) on which a material is applied, since a model might have multiple materials on different nodes... i.e. your way would work if the model was made using a texture atlas so the same texture applies to the whole model, but if that isn't the case and multiple textures need to be applied to different parts of the model then we can't just put the material at the root node...

We would just need to add the material name to the description string.
Example:

# osgmaxexp material info
Material Name

# Maps
Diffuse 0 images/diffuse.jpg 100
Bump 1 images/bump.jpg 80

Does this seem like an acceptable solution?

The format seems fine to me. Your separator is space, which seems more readable to me than the vertical bar we were discussing before, but it means parsers will have to handle the case where the filename is quoted and has spaces in it. Plus do any map names have spaces in them? In your list in a previous post, there was "Specular Level" that has a space... If you output it as Specular_Level for example, that's perfect I think.

Thanks,

J-S