Edwina, List:

I could post a lengthy rebuttal, but it would basically just repeat what I
have already laid out in considerable detail in this thread and the others
associated with Peirce's Cosmology, so I will spare everyone (including
myself) the dissertation.  I will simply reiterate a few quick points about
the blackboard illustration.

   - The blackboard is "a sort of diagram" (CP 6.203), not a metaphor; this
   means that it *embodies *the significant *relations *among the parts of
   whatever it represents.
   - The blackboard "is a continuum of two dimensions" that represents "a
   continuum of some indefinite multitude of dimensions" (CP 6.203); and a
   continuum is a paradigmatic manifestation of Thirdness.
   - The chalk mark is not a point, or even a line; it is a *surface*, and
   its continuity is entirely derived from and dependent on that of the
   underlying blackboard (CP 6.203).
   - The chalk mark exhibits all three Categories (CP 6.203&205)--Firstness
   (whiteness), Secondness (boundary between black and white), and Thirdness
   (continuity).
   - Aggregations of merged chalk marks represent "reacting systems" that
   aggregate further into "Platonic worlds" (CP 6.206-208), each of which I
   call a "whiteboard."
   - The Big Bang corresponds to our existing universe being differentiated
   out of one of these "Platonic worlds" (CP 6.208) as "a discontinuous mark"
   (NEM 4:345, RLT:162) on the whiteboard.

Consequently, the blackboard--which precedes the whiteboard, and is the
source of its continuity--*cannot *be post-Big Bang; and the three
Categories *must *be pre-Big Bang, with Thirdness primordial among them.

Regards,

Jon