Jon - as Clark has been trying to point out, you and I are locked in
terminological difficulties. Your insistence that YOUR use is identical with
that of Peirce's use - is simply your own opinion.

My reading of Peirce is that all three categorical modes only function within
Relations. Firstness is NOT 'real' in the  sense of it being a generality [ie.,
the reality of the laws of Thirdness] and it does exist as a state of
'existentiality; i.e., as a quality, a feeling, an openness, BUT, this state is
itself an experience, entire in itself, and as such, it exists within that
experience of its fullness. There is no such thing as an unembodied Firstness!
Since it is a state of experience, then, it must be embodied. It is simply
'complete', so to speak and not open to the Otherness of analysis or reaction.

You confine 'existence' to Secondness - which is, I feel, too narrow an
understanding of the three categories and of the term 'existence'.

I disagree that 'pure nothing' is Firstness and Secondness in the absence of
Thirdness. I agree that without Thirdness - it would be chaos, but i don't see
this as PURE nothing. After all, 'the original chaos, therefore, where there
was no regularity, was in effect a state of mere indeterminacy, in which
nothing existed or really happened". 1. 411.  My reading of that, is that there
was no matter in a mode of Firstness or Secondness in this 'original chaos' -
no 'existences' and no 'feelings'. Nothing.

Now - of course, and as usual, you can disagree with me.

Edwina