Gary F, List,

The distinction between these two ways of thinking about the phenomenological
categories (matter and form) is present, I think, in the passage quoted.

When you strive to get the purest conceptions you can of Firstness, Secondness,
and Thirdness, thinking of quality, reaction, and mediation – what you are
striving to apprehend is pure Firstness, the Firstness of Secondness -- that is
what Secondness is, of itself -- and the Firstness of Thirdness. (CP 1.530).

The material categories of quality, reaction and mediation are the familiar
categories that we readily find in common experience. The question is:  are
these common conceptions really fundamental as universal categories or not?
Peirce suggests that it is an open question as to whether or not these material
categories correspond in some way with the formal tones of thought that have
the character of what he calls firstness, secondness and thirdness. These tones
of thought have the form of elemental monadic, dyadic and triadic relations.
That, at least, is how I read the writings between, say, 1896-1903 when he is
developing the phenomenological account of the categories in a more refined
manner--as a separate kind of philosophical theory.

On my reading of the relevant texts, all of the observations, conceptions and
valid forms of inference that any cognitive agent might employ to learn
something about the world involve compositions of these three formal
relations--no more and no less. If this claim is on the right track, then we
can formulate a third question:

3. Does inquiry in philosophical logic show that self-controlled reasoning of
any kind involves observations of these three formal features (and compositions
involving them) in the signs we employ--and nothing more?

I think a positive answer to this question is, at the least, a plausible
hypothesis. As such, we have sufficient reason to treat examples of good and
bad reasoning as data for our logical inquiries, and to focus our analyses on
these formal features in the observations that we've gathered as we sort
through the data and try to correct the observational errors that might be part
and parcel of our data set for our developing theory of logic.

--Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor
Department of Philosophy