John, list,

First, I wish to thank John for his comments to my earlier post to the list. I agreed with all, but one point. Which consist in an, to my mind, unwarranted focus on classifications. Peirce in several occasions wrote about KINDS. (Should be easy enought to google). - Kinds (as a philosophical concept) rely on Qualities and qualitative differentiation. Thus on Firstness. Classifications, at least as we late moderns know them, do not.

Take, for example, genus, species and an existent individuals (be they a facts, events or something else). All empirical sciences deal with facts, events or some other kinds of existent individuals.

It is well worth noticing, that CSP relied on KINDS of events in laying the grounds for his theory of probabilities. To CSP, they come first. - So cutting a long story short, in order to successfully and scientifically probabilities in science, including humanities, there must be some sense of these qualities.

Now, there is a peculiar linguistic fact, that in English there are two different verbs to denote BEING and EXISTENCE. But in French or in Latin there are not. In ancient Greece, as far as I know, this would have been unconceivable.

Peirce was a polyglott, who conversed with fluence and subtlety e.g. on Baskian language. - But I do not recall his ever taking up this special feature of English. (And Spanish, as well). I wonder why?

Nowadays English has more and more become the new Latin of scientists and scholars. Thus perpetuating a new uniformity within ways of thinking. - Translating ones thoughts from one language to some others helps a lot in sustaining diversity of thoughts and human mental life. Which is just as important as biodiversity.

When taking up MIND, in a Peircean context, one should remember that Peirce took up unconscious mind, and especially pointed out that he used his concept of FEELING in the same sense that it was used and developed by Tetens. Peirce named Tetens Kant's teacher. - Still, no Kant expert, nor Peirce expert I have discussed on this, had ever even heard of Tetens. To my knowledge, Kant never mentioned Tetens. (Perhaps google knows better nowadays).

Why did Peirce change the term 'phenomenology* into 'faneroscopy'? - My hypothesis was that it was an attempt to make a distinction with (by then more and more popular) Husserlian phenomenology. - I then met a very distinguished Peirce scholar in Finland and asked her what she thougt. She confirmed that the side notes in the manuscripts were all fore this hypothesis.

Peirce does write that math makes its ow logic, but he does not write that it is all there is to it.

But no Peircean should do the error of taking the mind as the same as consciousness, whatever one may mean by that. Husserlian philosophy was designed as a philosophy of consciousness, it aimed to answer to the modern question of knowledge, not the ancient or medieval one. - Wisdom of the heart was by then dismissed from epistemology. Not so by Aristotle and his Sensus Communis.

The clift between epistemology and ontology has left this into the reign of common stupidity. In the era of mass media, when it would be most direly needed and cultivated.

With best wishes, Kirsti