My conclusion would be, that one cannot assign the nesses to the things without telling which sign s*he is talking about. In this case, the question whether matter or form is first, the answer is due to whether the sign is "individuation" or "evolution".
It is always good to mess things up a little, make simple-seeming things complicated, to find the seem.
Best, Helmut
 14. Dezember 2018 um 17:19 Uhr
Von: g...@gnusystems.ca

Helmut, list,

When we talk about “matter” in the English of our time, we tend to think of it as tangible stuff, or in physics, as stuff that has mass. Aristotle’s “matter” (λη) is a very different concept, pertaining more to logic than to physics, and Peirce says in the excerpt Jon quoted, “it is always the Aristotelian matter I speak of” — not physical matter in the modern sense. Aristotelian matter is simply that which has no individuality. I think this might be clarified by reading Peirce’s Baldwin’s Dictionary article,  http://www.gnusystems.ca/BaldwinPeirce.htm#Matter%20and%20Form.

And of course Peirce was not talking about sexuality in the physical sense either …

I also agree with Edwina that if we are going to talk about Peircean Firstness, Secondness and Thirdness, we should not take them in an ordinal sense, as if we were talking about the temporal order of events.

Gary f.