On Sun, 2002-06-02 at 23:13, Sebastian Bergmann wrote:
> Zeev Suraski wrote:
> > PHP can become stronger, but it will NEVER make a shift and become
> > Java.
>
>   I don't want it to become Java.
>
>   I want PHP to stay as simple as possible for beginners, simpler if
>   possible as Shane pointed out. Regarding this I think once the
>   PEAR/PECL infrastructure is in place and people get used to it I think
>   installation and customization of PHP will become easier.
>
>   But, as I said before, I don't understand why simplicity should mean in
>   its consequence that software designs you find these days in the Java
>   World cannot be done with PHP. The essence (in one sentence) of what I
>   would like to see:
>
>     I love PHP, but I would like to design and implement my application
>     the same way I could do with Java.

But that is what you'll never get with PHP.  Just look at how fast
creating objects is in Java.  Java revolves aroun on objects, they are
created and destructed implicitly during execution of overloaded
operators and everything.  PHP has a _much_ higher cost for using
objects.  This has design implications that rules out designing your PHP
code as you would do for Java.  But I guess you already knew that ;-)

 - Stig