> Stig S. Bakken Wrote:
> But that is what you'll never get with PHP.  Just look at how fast
> creating objects is in Java.  Java revolves aroun on objects, they are
> created and destructed implicitly during execution of overloaded
> operators and everything.  PHP has a _much_ higher cost for using
> objects.  This has design implications that rules out designing your
> PHP code as you would do for Java.  But I guess you already knew that
> ;-)
>
>  - Stig

Stig, what are are describing is not a change in the language, but a
design flaw in the interpreter. The language has constructs for "class."
I'm not sure, do destructors work yet?

Anyway, the higher cost of creating objects in PHP should be able to be
changed internally. The PHP environment need not change, just work better.

Personally, I have an antipathy to Java. The mentality of Java is similar
to the mentality of Pascal. IMHO the proponents of the language are
usually more concerned with "computer science" correctness, then the
actuall usability.

Yea, the language is cool enough, but I would prefer C++ over Java. IMO
java crosses the line and dictates structure. In doing so, makes many
simpler operations more difficult.

Coming from an assembly/driver background, I put languages in three
categories: assembled, compiled, interpreted. Java pretends to be
a compiled language, but requiers an interpreter. (VM)

Assembled: required to be difficult and non-portable. Use it to get the
best performance you can.

Compiled: Should be portable. Use it for non-trivial applications

Interpreted: Very very portable. Use it for "trivial" applications.

Note: "trivial" does not mean inconsequential, it means that there are no
serious issues with performance or resource usage. You would not
implement a CopyBits routine in java or PHP, you would use C, C++ or
even assembly.

PHP fits the bill for an interpreted environment very well. It is
very easy in which to write and very powerful.

The extensions are IMHO what make the language. Like C and C++, the
languages are quite simple, it is the ability to add to the language
that makes it good.