Hi Alex,

> A direct link to the "default" port might not always be desired, as
> this is often not the main application (but some other "home" page).

I cannot see how this can be a problem?  Having the same
configuration, the only difference is that with httpGate you would get
"connection error" while with httpGate0 you would get "not found"
error.  Everything works the same otherwise.

> Your approach is viable in general, though we have the "void"
> solution in 'httpGate' (described in my previous mail) in common use
> now.

comparing the two approaches:

1) httpGate solution either gets "connection error" or displays a
   static file/page.

2) httpGate0 solution either gets "not found" error or does *anything*
   the default gate server is programmed to do, e.g. gets "not found"
   error, redirects or displays a dynamically generated page (or gets
   "connection error" if the default gate server is not running).

Also, httpGate0 solution seems simpler to me in terms of C code and
overall logic.

> If 'httpGate' fails to connect to the local server, an arbitrary
> page can be triggered.

> you see that it tries to open a file named "void".

The page can be arbitrary but static.  That means that if I have more
web applications, the only thing I can display is that the session
expired but I cannot show a link or redirect to the original

> This "void" is usually a symbolic link to some page. It typically says
> "Session timed out / Could not connect to the current session /
> Probably, a timeout occurred, and the session terminated. / Please try
> to re-connect to your last recently used application."

I find this is not user friendly at all as the user have to navigate
to the original application himself manually but it should be done by
the computer.

> In other cases this page contains a link to the main application (if
> there is any) telling the user to click that link, otherwise it
> automatically redirects the user to that application after 10
> seconds or so.

But how does it know which application when there are more than one?

Thank you,