Matthew I totally agree with your vision, and github migration can be a
good start to improve it:
* Without speaking about its shutdown, google code isn't a popular place
(Hg even further)
* I see only ~35 contributors to prosody-modules... it's really low
regarding prosody popularity
* Single repo isn't simple to share / find a project (for example, you
can't list all directory in web interface!)
* There is too few README for modules, atomic repository encourage it
* Single repository make deployment really hard. I'm working on chef
cookbook, and I have to do my own repositories on past to being able to
deploy servers.

ldap module is a good example of what I'm talking, there is one on
prosody-module, other patches on mailing-list and some other on random
repositories. No one is clearly production ready with a correct
documentation.

I don't see "prosody-modules" as a seal of quality. Only a good place to
share... like pypi, rubygem etc.

But as Brian say.... in September google code will be down, we have to deal
with it :)