Hi Kirk
    We have the same problem on one of our pcb assy.
    What we have done is put a circular keepout on 3 layers around the thru
    hole component lead,  and added several vias around the perimeter of the
    pad ( on a 150 mil radius ). This ensures an easy solder. But we do not
    have high current concerns. Just a thought to get you thinking in a new
    direction.

Bob Fearon