Geoff Harland wrote:
  <snip>
> *Unless* the PCBs you are hand soldering are *not* through-hole plated, why
> do you want to apply solder in the locations of the vias?

 As I have been following this thread it occurred to me that perhaps the
problem is the fact that Protel has "Pads" and "Vias" and new users are
often perplexed over their difference and correct usage.

In older versions of Protel there was a large difference, and I know
when I was a Protel newbie I didn't really understand it since I thought
ALL plated holes in a board were vias.

In the latest version, the difference has been blurred (since vias now
can connect to planes) somewhat.

The bottom line is that (generally):
  Pads are used for component leads (though hole or SMT)
  Vias are used to pass signals between layers
  (Yes pads also (can) pass signals between layers)

Anyway (even if I totally missed Kirk's difficulty), perhaps this will
help someone that is struggling with Vias vs Pads.

David W. Gulley
Destiny Designs