Ian Wilson wrote:

> On 06:53 PM 20/02/2001 -0600, David W. Gulley said:
> >Geoff Harland wrote:
> >   <snip>
> > > *Unless* the PCBs you are hand soldering are *not* through-hole plated, why
> > > do you want to apply solder in the locations of the vias?
> >
> >  As I have been following this thread it occurred to me that perhaps the
> >problem is the fact that Protel has "Pads" and "Vias" and new users are
> >often perplexed over their difference and correct usage.
> >
> >In older versions of Protel there was a large difference, and I know
> >when I was a Protel newbie I didn't really understand it since I thought
> >ALL plated holes in a board were vias.
> >
> >In the latest version, the difference has been blurred (since vias now
> >can connect to planes) somewhat.
> >
> >The bottom line is that (generally):
> >   Pads are used for component leads (though hole or SMT)
> >   Vias are used to pass signals between layers
> >   (Yes pads also (can) pass signals between layers)
> >
> >Anyway (even if I totally missed Kirk's difficulty), perhaps this will
> >help someone that is struggling with Vias vs Pads.
> >
> >David W. Gulley
> >Destiny Designs
>
> So what should I use to stitch gnd planes together?  This is not on your
> list.  I use pads for this.  I only use vias for changing layers while
> routing - everything else is a pad.  I know others that do things differently.
>
> Aside:
> Protel provide a rule to allow control of poly pour connection style for
> vias.  The rule is not obeyed - this is a bug.  The original post was
> attempting to do something that Protel claimed it could do (by presence of
> the rule) but in fact couldn't. There is a different question that has been
> raised by the original one that most of the thread was addressing (I
> commend your subject change).
>
> Ian Wilson

  Used to be, Vias would not tie to planes.
  Used to be, Pads would not tie two plane layers together; the thermal
or direct connect would be applied to one plane and no others! (I used
to edit the Gerbers to correct the problem!)

  I have not done any stitching of planes lately, so I am not sure
whether I would use pads or vias. I too (as far as I can remember), "use
vias for changing layers while routing - everything else is a pad," so I
would (probably) use pads (assuming the multiple plane connection bug
has been fixed).

  I too agree that the connect style for vias in a bug, but I just
wondered if perhaps the reason for the original post was a
misunderstanding of the (typical) usage of vias vs pads (as well as
running into the via connect bug).

David