On Tue, 01 May 2001 13:38:09 -0700, Abdulrahman Lomax wrote:

>IPC-D-356 includes pad location information, which then allows correlation
>with the gerber data. If a pad is located on the top side at X,Y, then any
>copper at that location is supposedly part of the net associated with that pad.

I searched the web a bit more of D-356.   D-356 is very basic, enough
information to make a bed of nails if the generator bothered to correctly
identify 'mid' pads.

D-356A is a major extension which can contain all kinds of information
including a representation of copper on the PCB, planes, specific test
information, adjacency information (to avoid redundant open circuit tests)
and other stuff I can't remeber.

I still don't see supplying a D-356 netlist to a PCB house for them to test
the boards against is a good idea. Supplying a D-356 netlist (in either
direction) for cross checking a test netlist derived from gerbers is a good
idea.

Haven't I seen a guy from Lavinir post here? They produce gerber scanning
software that creates D-356 netlists, maybe he has something to add on the
subject.

Cheers, Terry.

* To join or leave this list visit: