On Tue, 01 May 2001 16:23:18 -0700, Max P. Henzi wrote:

Hi Henzi,

Glad I managed to prompt some response.

<Huge snip>

>The IPC is hard at work on generating a revision to this specification.  I
>applaud the efforts that Protel is making to provide an integrated tool that
>addresses not only design issues, but also manufacturing issues.  It is not
>a small task.

But what in your opinion is the bottom line?

If designers do supply PCB manufacturers with D-356 netlists what do you
expect manufacturers to actually do with them?

Use as is for PCB test?

Tweak (like they tweak gerbers) and use for PCB test?

Use them to verify netlists scanned from tweaked gerbers (and use one or
the other for test)?

Use them to help scan tweaked gerbers (save a lot of awkward pad
recognition problems and manual guidance).

and depending of which of the above they do what 'level' of D-356 netlist
is required?

Seems to me a basic D-356 netlist would be adequate to assist in gerber
scanning and crosschecking. A full blown D-356A would need tweaking to suit
the board house processes and testers, would they use it or use one they
are ready got from gerber scanning?

If you (can) and do supply a full blown D-356A netlist then do Gerbers
actually contain any additional information? If not why supply them?

Where does D-350 come into it?

Sorry to have so many questions - don't bother if you don't have the time
:)

Cheers, Terry.

* To join or leave this list visit:
*                      - or email -