Terry,

The reason I bought the IPC-D-356 generation software was because the fab house
was sending the gerber data out to create it IPC file to create a clamshell test
fixture. I was being charged 300 dollars US. This was back in 96. I have since
learned it is a valuable tool in verifying the gerbers. Yes it is strickley a
continuity
test but still valuable if the fab house uses it Before fab, which I do require.

Again, I have had great results from this process.

Regards all,

Jim McGrath
CAD Connections, Inc.

Terry Harris wrote:

> On Tue, 01 May 2001 13:38:09 -0700, Abdulrahman Lomax wrote:
>
> >IPC-D-356 includes pad location information, which then allows correlation
> >with the gerber data. If a pad is located on the top side at X,Y, then any
> >copper at that location is supposedly part of the net associated with that pad.
>
> I searched the web a bit more of D-356.   D-356 is very basic, enough
> information to make a bed of nails if the generator bothered to correctly
> identify 'mid' pads.
>
> D-356A is a major extension which can contain all kinds of information
> including a representation of copper on the PCB, planes, specific test
> information, adjacency information (to avoid redundant open circuit tests)
> and other stuff I can't remeber.
>
> I still don't see supplying a D-356 netlist to a PCB house for them to test
> the boards against is a good idea. Supplying a D-356 netlist (in either
> direction) for cross checking a test netlist derived from gerbers is a good
> idea.
>
> Haven't I seen a guy from Lavinir post here? They produce gerber scanning
> software that creates D-356 netlists, maybe he has something to add on the
> subject.

* To join or leave this list visit:
*                      - or email -