I was just reading the Hall, Hall and McCall book on Interconnect Theory and
noticed that they calculate Z0 for a microstrip line using the relative
dielectric constant, Er, but use the effective dielectric constant, Ee, when
calculating the propagation velocity (they give a simple equation for doing
this, BTW).  Is this simply because Td is a function of the field, which is
partly in air while the characteristic impedance is not?  Maybe I am
answering my own question but would like some feedback.  Tnx in advance.

regards,

Tim Hutcheson
Institute for Human and Machine Cognition
40 S. Alcaniz St.
Pensacola, FL  32503