The workaround, if one wants to preserve the footprints of PCB components,
is to edit the schematic to match the PCB. This can be quickly done from
the PCB editor by using Design/Update Schematic with Update Component
Footprints checked. Try it, you'll like it. There is no longer any excuse
not to have schematic footprints match PCB footprints.

OK,
But what would you do if you are doing a new board and the schematic was
imported from Orcad and none of the footprint names matched the ones in the
library
you want to use. Again what I saw was that it woul donly put down the first
footprint
on the list and untill you touched ALL of the different types of symbols to
global
update the footprints you still would not get your library footprints. At
least without
quite a bit of effort. Yes once youve got a footprint on a board you can
change it.
But in this case I really don't have any yet till the schematic says I do an
dth eonly way
I saw to get there was to touch all the diff. symbols and globally update
their
individual footprints.
Bob

Robert M. Wolfe, C.I.D.