At 07:02 PM 12/26/2001 -0500, Bob Wolfe wrote:
>An one more note.
>Not only does it ONLY put down the first footprint on the list,
>but any time during a sync, if you do want to update footprints
>it will replace any footprint other than the first one on the list
>with the first one on the list even if locked. Which in my mind
>why bother having a lisy of footprints if it realy only uses the first one
>on the list. I am using 99SE SP6.
>Is there any way around that?

Someone correct me if there is still a bug in this area of the program, but
the above seems a bit off to me. The list is a device to assist the user in
choosing a footprint. By default, the first footprint in the list will
appear in the symbol footprint selection field. If you choose another
footprint, or manually enter a completely different footprint, that is the
footprint that will be used. (Of course, if one cancels out of the symbol
edit dialog, any changes will be discarded.)

I just verified the behavior of P99SP6, it seems to be working correctly.

Strictly speaking, footprints are not locked, rather components are locked.
In general, you can still edit locked components through an edit dialog,
and update is simply a mass edit. In my view, the unchallenged editability
of locked components is a deficiency or bug; if the user attempts to edit
any locked component, whether singly or en masse, such as through a global
edit or update, a warning should be issued that requires the user to
approve the edit before it is implemented. "Locked" should mean locked;
locking a component should lock every primitive except refdes and type, and
those should be individually or globally lockable by editing the string
itself. I'd require the user to actually unlock the components but I think
a warning is sufficient as a compromise for ease of use, similar to the way
block moves work.

The workaround, if one wants to preserve the footprints of PCB components,
is to edit the schematic to match the PCB. This can be quickly done from
the PCB editor by using Design/Update Schematic with Update Component
Footprints checked. Try it, you'll like it. There is no longer any excuse
not to have schematic footprints match PCB footprints.

(Protel cut corners by using the same basic process to update schematic
from PCB as it uses to update PCB from schematic. No harm done, but you may
notice some oddities, such as an attempt to add components to the schematic
followed by a message that the macro is not supported. Footprint update
works fine and I presume -- I did not test -- that changed comments and
reference designators will be properly taken back to schematic as well, the
latter requiring that schematic and PCB have been properly synchronized
with the hidden identifiers prior to editing the reference designators.)

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA