At 06:26 PM 20/12/01 -0800, you wrote:
>but is it true that to use the synchronizer the schematics have to have
>all the right footprints plugged into the sch symbol?
>
>Dennis Saputelli

No more so than with the netlist.

If you run the Synch without all the sch symbols having footprints you will
get a Warning tab on the Synch dialog stating the number of compoents
without footprints and a button allowing you to generate a report showing
those components missing footprints - very useful feature #1.

Then Previewing the macros (rather than executing them) will allow you to
see which macros have errors - very useful feature #2.  Again, you can
generate a report - VUF #3.  You can check check box to only show/report
errors - VUF#4.

Even if you have errors, executing the macros will run as many as it can -
VUF#5.

What you will not end up with, though, is nodes (read pins) loaded into the
PCB internal netlist that do not exist on the PCB when the Synch was
done.  But you can make your changes, and fix the libraries or manually add
the components as you wish and then re-run the Sych at any time.  What I
love most is the fact that matching is not done by designator allowing
manual or automatic re-annotation to your hearts content.

Once Synch'ed you can then update the Sch with changes made in the PCB -
such as flipping a component onto the bottom layer and changing the
footprint to the wave version.  Such footprint changes can then be
reflected back up to the Sch through the synchronizer.  VUF #6.

And there is more - a few small gotchas the main one being not to not mix
netlist imports with the synchronizer - recipe for disaster - but even this
is recoverable.

Ian Wilson