Ian,
Thanks for the input, though like you said from my case the names in most
cases were not even close to the same and it still operates the same.
It will not change the footprint in the schematic just by performing the
update function
untill you manually/globally change each unique part.
What I am trying to solve is importing an Orcad shematic where the engineer
used the footprint field as a description not a name and does not want to
change this.
I hoped the update function within Protel would have worked for me.
I really do not want to have footprint names like "conn, .1centers, .025
post, shrouded,  vertical"
The client has a part number system and where there is no logical name like
PLCC32 I want to use
their part number as the footprint name. So ultimately it does not appear in
Protel whether bug
or just the way it works to accomplish this without a major amount a manual
manipulation.
As for the camps, yes I am one who wants the system driven by library and
schematic and feel that
an update on PCB side should respect any footprint listed in the library for
that part and not take it off the board and put back the first one on the
list for that part. But that is the other problem I can solve that one by
doing just what is described below Camp2 make a part symbol for every part
with ONLY one footprint listed.

The problem about update schematic however like you are stating, yes I
understand I can go to every
unique part and globally update it and save some time but, on a large
schematic that, in my mind, is still too much time. I really wish Protel's
schematic update function would work diferently and allow it to
actually change all of the footprints to reflect what is defined for that
part in the library. Again I really was hoping not to have to manually go to
each unique part, I admit that the global update is a powerfull
capability, but not as powerfull as I would hope in this instance as far as
I can tell experimenting with it.

I fall more into camp 2 however I am opposed to having to make a symbol for
every part value.
VeriBest worked such that you can make ONE resistor symbol to represent
every value and footprint.
It did it by createing the individual part data in a linked database so you
could choose to place an item on the schematic as a Device or just a Symbol.
The Device carried all the part data like company and vendor part numbers
footprint etc. The symbol was just th edumb graphic that you could decide
later
what you wanted it to grow up to be.

Working in a service unit having the ability to do things on the fly and not
worry about real part numbers or internal company documantation or whether
the schematic/netlist footprints match,
as long as the board goes out like the customer's design was intended that
is a good thing.

However if working to some companies standards I find it is pretty much
necesary to make sure the front end (Schematic/Library) drives the design
and any changes go back to the schematic and libraries
to drive to the PCB.

I feel CAD systems should be made to provide as much or as little constraint
to how you design,
whether you want to do most of the design on the fly or be rigid in that
libraries an dthe schematic
drive and control the design process.

Thanks again for the very good input.
Oh by the way Protels answer at PCB East was that he thought it might still
be a bug too.
However when I called the Protel service line they only said we really don't
want that update to
occur that way????

Robert M. Wolfe, C.I.D.