Actually, though, Hot Air Leveling should not cause the burst unless there is
soldermask on both the top and bottom, or if it is a blind via. However, I can't
think of a way in Protel to tell it to tent only the component side. You'd probably
have to do some editing in the gerber file.

This sounds like a feature that should be added to Protel, that is, selecting which
side of the board tenting of through-hole vias occurs on: top, bottom, or both.

Bryn

--
Name   : Bryn Wolfe
Title  : Robotics Engineer