Shuping,

At some point around 900 components Protel performance will slow down,
Many designs I am seeing are around 1300 - 1440 components.  Protel cam
handle them easily with lots of RAM (512 meg)  , to address IANs question
why load the netlist?  Because the synchronizer will also choke to and
afternoon of processing on large boards.   Sure it works but load netlist
can load a new netlist in minutes if you follow these step   I have seen
design take as much as half a day to load a new netlist if the old one is
not cleared out.    I don't half  a day to spend

Before loading a netlist I suggest you clear the old netlist first.   This
takes a few minutes with large boards.   Load the new neltist.  This should
also take a few minutes.  Update copper from free primitives, then run a
drc.     I perform these set of instructions as part of my drc process
before generation of gerbers.  Also to answer Ian' question about partial
netlist....often generate netlist for single pages. lay that page out,
repeat for other pages,  Clear the nets again and import the big an dial
netlist.  Dividing a design into individual sheets helps with placement and
doesn't tie Protel resources down.

Good Luck
Mike Reagan
EDSI  Frederick MD