On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 21:51:38 -0700, JaMi Smith wrote:
>Nothing crashes but Protel ! ! !

FWIW, nothing crashes on my system but Protel either. And I mean
NOTHING. My drivers are all up-to-date (even my Intellimouse drivers!).
My Win2K SP2 is patched up-to-date. My hardware is rock solid and
tested thoroughly.

I run plenty of other CAD, graphics and "high-end" apps that stress all
my computer's CPU, memory and graphics systems so I really don't want
anyone to say "Protel uses resources other programs don't" -- I think
that's a copout for sloppy programming. Having been around the
development world for a long time (both embedded and PC software), I
see lots of earmarks of sloppy programming and the lack of "defensive
programming" techniques with Protel. Blame whoever you want, but it's
there and I think responsible for a great number of crashes in Protel
(especially the "access violations" -- these are nothing more than
sloppy pointer management!)

In my line of work (embedded hardware/software design) I'm expected to
gracefully deal with all sorts of unexpected conditions in the software
and hardware. Like "what happens if the list I'm working with is empty
even though it's not SUPPOSED to be?" or "what if this routine gets
passed bogus data that makes no sense?". A program crash is
unnaceptable, a proper error response and graceful recovery is
expected. Is it too much to ask the same of PC software designers?
Microsoft has drummed into people's minds that "no software can be bug
free". I thinks that's hogwash. Maybe we can't have totally bug-free
software, but the software should at least recover gracefully from
unexpected conditions.

I think we need to hold the developers to a higher standard.

Matt Pobursky
Maximum Performance Systems

* Tracking #: A74D48E3ECB9D24FA79612E40FA4241118BDFD63