It's like wanting to buy a new Porsche and you're trading in a 1979 924 or a
1997 911. Do you think just because you want to drive the 2002 model, they
should give you equal trade up? Hey, you didn't drive the 1997 model for the
past 5 years, why should you 'pay' for not using it?

Companies do that because they didn't have access to your money over that
period of that time. If you would have purchased a new car (or updated s/w)
at more regular intervals, the company would be more stable and healthy.
(Unless it was bleeding green from the top)
I think you'll find example after example of this being a normal practice
and not a shady business practice.

However, I do see your point and that's why I liked the pre-ATS model Protel
has had for so long. They didn't penalize old trade ups too badly, and you
had the choice not to give them money for each little upgrade you may or may
not have wanted.