Not in terms of US GNP or most other countries' GNP. Housing, fuel,
transportation, clothing, food, those are huge. People spend huge amounts of
money on those things in comparison to electronics. How many computers are
in Africa, or South America? (or everywhere else for that matter) Now how
many of those people need food, shelter, clothing? All of 'em.

> > Even in your example lies cable modem service that has gone up and up.
> Tell
> > me why? They say it's because it reflects the value of our service.' BS,
> > it's because DSL went up and cable can go up to because there
> is no reason
> > to hold it down.
>
> Area-specific example.  It's not that way in Tallahassee, Florida (not yet
> anyway).  I have been thinking of disconnecting my cable modem
> ($40/mo.) at
> home anyway.  I probably will keep it until Comcast's first price hike.
> Then it's gone.  One of my employees just got rid of their
> digital cable TV,
> they decided it was too expensive for what they were getting.  I would
> discontinue my home phone if I didn't need it for security system
> monitoring - my cell phone plan makes land lines obsolete.

Sure it's area specific, but I think it's a trend. Corporate mergers make
entities closer and closer to monopolies and monopolies usually generate
price increases. I think the ATT breakup wasn't a good thing. Even if prices
are high, often times good service comes with it. Now prices in telecom are
lower, but services suck.

> > How about gasoline? In California, they told us a few years ago the gas
> > price was going to climb because of the expense of processing
> in the MTBE
> > additive. Now they find out MTBE sucks, and it's going to cost
> more again
> > take it out! Why can't they just make the old gas, and give us the old
> > pre-MTBE price? Because the market will bear it and the gov't won't step
> in
> > to pull back the reigns.
>
> Another area-specific example.  I cannot formulate my worldview based on
> what happens in California.  One of my California-based customers says
> California is "the land of fruits and nuts" ;-)  Of course, you guys
> probably thought us Floridians were crazy in the election 2000 fiasco...

Oh yeah, world view...price of gas in Europe today?? It's still on the
rise...

Gas in Hawaii: cheaper than California and the HAVE to bring it in by ship!
We have a frickin' refinery 10 miles away and I pay more for gas than just
about anyone in the USA because I 'can afford it.'  BS!

> > You see no excuse, but capitalism allows it to happen. Maybe if
> Castro was
> > running the EDA s/w industry we'll all be using expresspcb and
> liking it.
>
> That was NOT nice.  I don't appreciate having my opinions being associated
> with a Communist.  I am a good Capitalist, I just don't bow
> before the idols
> of Wall Street, that's all.  Remember, money is NOT the rool of all evil,
> but the LOVE of money IS the root of all evil.  And there is much
> *love* on
> Wall Street and Pennsylvania Avenue these days...

Ivan, I didn't mean to associate you with anything Communist any more than
you related me to a fruit or nut ;) I didn't take your CA comment
personally..I would hope you don't take mine to heart either. My comment
just meant that unless some power is forcing s/w companies to lower their
prices, they will charge whatever the market will bear. So I rolled it down
to a strong gov't power (like Castro) enforcing the people to use one
low-end tool for one low-end price.

It had nothing to do with you! :)

Best regards,
Tony