> As for market forces on software prices, I'm going to do my part. I'm
> done buying any new Microsoft OS's after Win2K (due to their licensing
> and privacy policies) and Altium (because of pricing/support/utility
> -per-dollar issues). So I guess I may only be one person, but I'm
> voting with my checkbook. In the meantime, I'll keep looking for better
> alternatives while using what works OK for me. Sure am glad this isn't
> "rented" software! ;-)

You are not alone.  As I have said before on this list, W2K and Office 2000
are the last Microsoft products I will be buying unless they scrap their new
licensing policies and cut the prices.  Likewise with future Protel
versions; 99SE will be it.  It's a shame, because in many ways W2K and
Protel 99SE are excellent products.  Further improvements on them would be a
wonderful thing, but the new licensing and pricing is a killer.

You can not only work with your checkbook, you can also evangelize others
about the issues at stake.  I have been warning friends and family about
what is happening with software licensing, with mixed results.  I get a lot
of apathy.  It will be that way until one day they turn on their PC and it
says (names changed to protect the guilty):

"Your Winblows license has expired.  For your convenience, we have your
credit card information on file.  So that we may continue to serve you,
please click on 'OK' to renew your Winblows license.  Your credit card will
then be charged $199 for a one-year license renewal.  If you click on
'cancel', you will be charged a one-time fee of $99 to cover processing
costs of removing your computer information from the central license
registration database.  Should you decide to renew later, you will be
charged an addtional $99 processing fee to add your computer information
back to the central license registration database, in additon to the rate
for a new license, which is currently $299.  Should you desire to contest
these charges, please recall in the End User's License Agreement that by
using the software, you agreed to not use credit card chargeback procedures.
Should you attempt to reclaim files from this computer's hard disk without
first renewing your Winblows license, any .NYET-enabled files will report
their being opened to the central license registration database, possibly
leading to your prosecution under the Digital Millenium Copyright Act for
felony charges of attempting to defeat software security measures.   Thank
you for using Macrohard products."

OK, that was not a statement of fact, but a prediction of how it might go.
In any case, it was fun to write.  And it (or something like it) COULD
happen.

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.