At 02:48 AM 5/09/02 +0100, you wrote:
><..snip..>
>As the title said Cruch time - do I spend any more time looking at the DXP
>demo and upcoming SP1 re-learning how to use it or do I spend my time
>looking at other packages?
>
>What do you guys think?

My feelings are very mixed.  I have not tried all of the features and have
not done much after the beta program finished.  I am waiting for the first
service pack before I see what has changed since the beta.  So when I say
what I like or dislike it may be that I have not tried your favorite
feature or tested your favorite(!) bug.

Likes:
1) query language and reltaed to that the much more powerful design rules
2) Sim post processing is improved
3) New ERC options
4) Integrated libraries should help configuration control

Dislikes:
1) speed
2) globals are slower and some things very much harder to work out how to
do (but see Likes point 1).
3) Router is very disappointing - I was hoping for a break through here.
4) No SDK released (yet)
5) I think the spreadsheet view should *not* be on the same panel as the
filter.
6) ATS
7) Dialogs are not as easily navigated as in P99SE - they may look nicer
but I find it harder to find the editable elements.
8) Greater reliance on mouse compared to P99SE - this affects productivity
9) loss of Selected vs Focussed feature in P99SE and no provision for a
workable replacement (simply making the system more like other Windows apps
is a retrograde step IMO)

There are others but these are the major ones I can think of just now.

As an indicator - I have started a few new designs in the last week or
so.  All of these are being done in P99SE.  I have a rather "down" feeling
about it.  Lots to like but ATS really makes the equation more complex than
it used to be.

I will re-evaluate after SP1.

Ian Wilson

* Tracking #: F798CC54297D2F409329F8E4E9D6CD6A24CD0BED