Why is that? Once you're experienced with DXP (or any app) you know
where to find stuff. The glitz doesn't slow me down. The speed of the
app (or lack of speed) slows me down.

What would be the most proficient would be to have the tab key jump
between the editable fields in the order of most used which could easily
be determined by a survey on these lists.

For example on a component pad, the first field highlighted is
Designator. I think that makes sense. However, if you press tab a few
times you get this order:

Hole Size
Layer
Rotation
Xlocation
etc...

After a while you get to X size and Ysize. I don't know about you, but I
find myself tweaking those two things way more often than the location
of the pad. I personally would like to see it more like this, where the
plated status is brought to the first tab instead of the 3rd tab. I
usually never mess with the net association because the schematic drives
that.

Here is a mockup: http://www.encoreelectronics.com/padedit.jpg