Robison Michael R CNIN wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Purchasing is complaining about us buying so many boards
> without getting other quotes.  I've done business with a
> couple other shops, but only for specialty work, like
> controlled impedance or an extreme dimension.  I don't
> want to get quotes from these shops because it takes 2
> weeks to get a quote back from them.  For the straight-
> forward stuff that's simply unacceptable.  The shop that
> does our "normal" boards has an online do-it-yourself
> quote that I can get in a matter of minutes by simply
> plugging in the board parameters.
>
> Can you folks please recommend to me two or three places
> besides Advanced Circuits where I can get a real fast
> quote, preferrably the online type I mentioned above?

We used to use Imagineering, aka www.pcbnet.com, as they
were cheaper than Advanced Circuits a few years ago.  Beware,
though, that they charge for electrical test but may not actually
do the test.  We had a 6-layer board that they did for us, it had the
ET stamp on it, but a batch of the boards were NOT tested.
We don't have the equipment to test them ourselves, so we find
the inner layer shorts, etc. AFTER all the parts are on.  Well, we
have no other choice but to blacklist them on this particular
type of problem.  We have gone through about 5 fabricators
due to this same game.  Advanced Circuits has NEVER pulled this
stunt on us. Before we went to Advanced Circuits the first time,
we used Proto-Circuits in Alpharetta, GA, and left them for the same
reason.  I  will say that Imagineering remade the batch of boards that were
defective,
but the two that were stuffed before we detected the problem had to be
repaired by extensive effort to locate the inner-plane shorts.  That can
take
4+ hours to zero in on the exact pad where the defect is.

Jon

* Tracking #: DBFC7DAD68C6934F8D35CD4E1B36A04A69A6F842