The Protel SDK is implemented with Delphi run time packages.  This allows
controlled access to a part of the internal structure of Protel 99SE without
requiring access to its (proprietary) source code.  Packages are chunks of
compiled code that are similar to ordinary Windows dll's but with additional
object oriented class information.  This gives the ability to access the
object oriented structures (e.g. pads, tracks, text, etc.) contained in a
design.  These pre-compiled run time packages are Delphi compiler version
specific.  A package which was compiled with Delphi 5 cannot be accessed
from external code that was compiled with Delphi 6.
The Protel 98/99 SDK was originally compiled with Delphi 3.  Protel 99SE, at
one point, had both Delphi 3 and Delphi 5 versions but the Dephi 3 version
was later discontinued.  This means that you MUST use Delphi 5 for any
Protel 99SE server development.
Protel DXP appears to have been written with Delphi 6 but an SDK for DXP has
not (yet?) been made available so, at the present time, you cannot write
servers for it anyway.  If the SDK for DXP is implemented in the same way as
it was for 99SE, you would need the matching Delphi version for server
development.

John Williams