'Abd ul-Rahman Lomax' said:
"I placed a bid on that license even though I'm short of cash (I bid $2025)
simply because I couldn't stand to see it go for under $2,000. I'm trying to
sell an extra 99SE license for $4500! (OBO)."

I (and others may) still think that the attitude;

I see someone on Ebay selling the same product that I do.  It is now at a
very low price, maybe lower that what I pay.  I do not want anyone to get
this product for this low a price because of how it may effect me and the
market.  I have no desire to buy this product myself right now, but I will
bid a significantly higher price to prevent anyone else from getting a lower
price, and if I get that price, I am willing to pay for it.

...as being quite selfish, and against the basic principal of auctions.

I know that this probably happens all the time, and that there is little that
can be done about it.

I would also point out that if the seller engages in this kind of activity,
that this is explicitly against the bidding policies, and can be reacted to
quite vigorously by the auctioneer.  I would also consider this behavior
contrary to the free market, and could even be considered market manipulation
- ala Enron, etc.

Now, if you wanted to get into a typical bidding competition, this is exactly
the spirit of auctions, and may have resulted is a similar or higher ending
price - whether you won or not.

I would recommend it may be safer not share your participation in this kind
of activity in the future - regardless how benevolent or 'fair' you may
consider your motivations to be.