At 01:25 PM 1/14/2003, JaMi Smith wrote:
Is he(?) selling duplicate copies?

Perhaps he really is liscensed for multiple seats, and legitamately just
doesn't need them any more.
I find that somewhat unlikely, though, of course, not impossible. *Anyone buying a Protel license is strongly urged to verify its legitimacy and sellability with Altium.*

Then again, maybe he is a Protel employee selling things out the back door.
There was apparently somewhat of a problem with that at one time. It may have been that a leaving employee wanted to sell his or her license -- Protel employees were all given a copy and perhaps a license -- or it may have been more sinister than that.

In any case, when Protel moved to the Accel location and a bunch of employees did not elect to move -- or were otherwise terminated -- Protel made it explicit, I understand, that these employee licenses were not resellable.

Legally, they might not be able to prevent the sale -- in the absence of contract or license provision to the contrary, and the old license had no provision restricting sale -- but someone who bought such a license would be very unlikely to get upgrade discounts. And then again they might be able to prevent the sale.... I'd not care to be on either side of this one, since unclear legal situations profit only lawyers.

As matters stand, non-upgraded P99SE licenses are resellable without any other restriction than that the buyer accept the license terms. DXP licenses require approval for resale, which I find slightly worrisome but probably Altium has no intention of unreasonably withholding permission. The permission clause allows them to deal with unanticipated situations. Mr Loughhead, the Protel product manager, sent the following comment to [EMAIL PROTECTED] some time back:

Altium is not opposed to the transfer of licenses for legitimate
business reasons, such as an organisation that is restructuring its
operations and no longer needs a license. However, Altium does not
perceive its products as a generally tradeable commodity, and as such
does not encourage the general trade of product licenses. Altium
requires that you obtain written permission to ensure that a transfer is
carried out in the correct manner; that all versions covered by the
license are transferred, that the seller is the legal owner of the
license, and that the purchaser is recorded as the new legitimate owner.
I began license brokering and resale activities to assist users in selling their licenses at a decent price as well as to assist buyers in finding lawful licenses to buy. As a Protel licensee and also as somewhat of a representative of Protel users, I felt it to be in the users interest to have a decent resale value. You may not need to resell your license, but if you do, you will be glad that there is some support. It can really hurt to buy a license and then discover that for some reason you can't continue the business, and this has happened to quite a few people. Being able to resell the license takes away some of the pain.

It should also theoretically make it easier to sell licenses, since the license moves from a pure expense (even though it may be considered an asset for tax purposes, it would have no recovery value if not resellable) to the acquisition of an asset. But buyers are not accustomed to considering this and Protel has not emphasized it in sales pitches. I think they should, and they could take other steps to make the resale market clean and easy, without sacrificing significant sales. I've argued this before and elsewhere, so I won't give all the considerations....