At 08:03 PM 1/10/2003, JaMi Smith wrote:
The first bid came in this morning at US $0.58 (fifty eight cents), and it
is now up to US $6.05.
It's up to $810 at the moment. That's Aussie dollars. Although I have purchased a license from Australia, it can be done, I'm not likely to go after this one. And for similar reasons, others might not. But we'll see.

Come on now, do I hear $2,025; $2,025; come on now, $2,025; jack that price
up; jack that price up; jack it up; jack it up; come on now, $2,025.
If you are considering buying a license and want to save some big money, here is what to do: contact the seller and get a name and license number. then check with Altium and find out if the license is both valid and sellable by that person. If it is, you can bid on it. But I'd make sure I had a contract that could be used to induce Altium to transfer the license upon proof of payment even if the person disappears after being paid.

The CD and manual are worth maybe $100 without the license transfer. So escrow is useless unless it is an escrow that releases the funds when the license is actually transferred. I could help with that part, by the way, that is what I originally did, but it was too much hassle for too little money, usually. Still, I could help.

For those interested un watching unidentified individuals jack up the price
again, the link for the latest Protel 99 SE Auction on "ebay" is:
"Again" is a reflection of Mr. Smith's paranoia on this issue. I was "windsand" as anyone could tell from my post here. I have no idea who the other people were except that the actual buyer, probably tipped off to the sale by the posts here, has identified himself. He does not seem to be too concerned that he was allegedly ripped off.

Since I don't know who was selling the license, I have no comment about the safety of his transfer, but with reasonably precautions, involving good communication with Altium, it should be safe.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=182&item=2087808902&r
d=1

While the write up says that it "is not used anymore", it is actually more
interesting to note what it does not say, which is whether or not it is
legitimately licensed and transferrable.
Yes, I noticed. It does not mention "license" at all.

There are alot of people out there who are upgrading to DXP and hence have a
lot of copies of Protel 99 SE that are "not used any more", but I don't
think that it would be too legitimate to sell any of those types of copies.
Protel's position is that such a license is bogus, or it could be more interesting: the old license is subsumed into the new. So if someone sells the old license, Altium has indicated that they will consider the newer license transferred with it....

another asked about the legitimacy of Protel license sales. Until recently, Protel licenses were fully transferable, explicitly in the license agreement. This was very unusual in the price range of Protel software. Refreshing, I thought, and a good selling point, though they never advertised it. They were originally silent on the matter of older licenses; the P99 license, as I recall, made it explicit that you can't separately sell the older license when you use it for upgrade.

There has now been a further change. The DXP license is not transferable unless Altium consents. The indications are that they would not unreasonably withhold consent, but one might want to get this nailed down before buying DXP. Those indications are only verbal from Altium staff and might not be binding. I have not read the DXP license agreement since I have not received it.