Ivan

>>snip

Anyone heard how the new class D amps sound?  Several chip makers (TI,
Zetex, etc.) have come out with class D amp chips recently.  Personally, I'm
skeptical until I get to audition an amp made from these.  Might be good for
el cheapo consumer audio, but hi-fi?  I suppose a class D done right could
sound good, but if you go cheap on the post-amp LC filters, it could sound
really bad.  And using high quality magnetics might end up making it cost as
much as a class AB amp would.
>> snip

I've tried a few, not that impressed really.  However have you looked at the
Tripath modules?  they are similar to class D (they call it class T) but the
switching rate is variable.  They sound VERY good.  I've compared them to
some very expensive conventional and switching amps and they really do hold
their own.  Very impressive, and very efficient, as you'd expect, typically
85-90%.  Cost wise, the bigger it gets the more economical it gets.

Rich