Bagotronix Tech Support wrote:

Anyone heard how the new class D amps sound? Several chip makers (TI,
Zetex, etc.) have come out with class D amp chips recently. Personally, I'm
skeptical until I get to audition an amp made from these. Might be good for
el cheapo consumer audio, but hi-fi? I suppose a class D done right could
sound good, but if you go cheap on the post-amp LC filters, it could sound
really bad. And using high quality magnetics might end up making it cost as
much as a class AB amp would.

I have worked with the Harris HIP4080, pretty much the same class D amp, which
only requires external mosfets and filter copmponents. They sound quite good.
I was more interested in using them in a servo amp application, and did get it
working. But, their 80-V rated chip kept blowing up at 59 V. I finally got through
to the applications engineed for that product, and he told me "Oh, you're doing really
well, none of our other customers were ever able to get it to take more than 54 V!"
I went "Ugh! Thanks a lot!" and switched to a very complex implementation of
the same chip using about 8 chips. But, it ran fine at 80 V, and could go to
180 with ease. I'm only running my amp at 100 KHz, as I don't need the full
audio bandwidth to run servo motors. Harris runs their chip and FETs at 1 MHz!
The TI and Zetex chips are meant for laptop PCs, and so they often run on 12 V
or even 5 V power supplies. You can't get a lot of power out of them.

Jon