Kerry,

Yes their layout tool is awful indeed, but keeping up some knowledge of
Orcad capture is still a good skill to have as it is very popular & still
the preferred tool for design entry for many large companies. In any event
if you have to translate any designs to Protel it is handy to know where the
errors came from in Orcad.

> Later on we did another custom project with some very
> talented engineers.
> Got to talking about layout packages. One engineer said,
> well, out here in Southern California, a lot of people use
> Orcad's schematic capture program, but virtually nobody uses
> their layout package.

For the period of time I worked in sunny California I was used to using
Orcad capture/Pads layout as this was the most common combination deployed
throughout the design team (60-70 seats Capture, 10 or so of Pads) I found
there. It is also a very common combination in Asia as well.

> Have heard of a lot of people using PADS, some using PCAD,
> some Protel, but very rarely run into people using Orcad for layout.

Pads is extremely popular. They have respected their users investments in
training, experience, familiarity with GUI etc much more than other vendors
by keeping the GUI the same for many years, just adding to it, so it looks
clunky, outdated and ugly, but like most tools, once someone has experience,
shortcut keys make light work of any job. Does not have to look nice to work
good.

PCAD is the same in many respects, except the latest evolutions after the
Altium influence.

They both have good points & bad, just like Protel, guess its down to which
tools you can use to get the job done well and in the least time.

Best Regards

John A. Ross

RSD Communications Ltd
8 BorrowMeadow Road
Springkerse Industrial Estate
Stirling, Scotland FK7 7UW

Tel     +44 [0]1786 450572 Ext 225 (Office)
Tel     +44 [0]1786 450572 Ext 248 (Lab)
Fax     +44 [0]1786 474653
GSM     +44 [0]7831 373727

Email   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WWW     http://www.rsd.tv