Michael,
        in answer to your first query I believe that you may be having difficulties
with your click speed. P99SE has some nuances to click speed on certain operations.
When you click on your room, you may be holding the click down too long. When this
occurs the cursor jumps to a corner of the object and attempts to move the whole
object. If you click more quickly on one of the center handles, you should be able to
adjust just the one side or axis of the object. This is true for other objects like
fills or lines as well. Try playing with your clicking speed, this is also effected by
the click speed setting within your OS.

        On your second query, are you trying to move the Protel default designator or
an alternate (using a special ".Designator" string) secondary designator? With the
Protel default designator (it is generated automagically for every library part
without intervention) you should just simply be able to click and hold on the
designator then move or orient it wherever you want. If it is a secondary special
designator string then it is part of the footprint primitives and you must remove the
lock primitives checkbox within the part properties. After you have unlocked the part
primitives, you will be able to move and orient a secondary designator.
        ****Warning - while your primitives are unlocked, it is possible to move any
pad or other primitive within the footprint so be careful and relock your component(s)
when you are finished.*****
        When I am using this feature I usually unlock all the footprints using global
editing, when finished I relock them all using the global editing again.

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.