Thanks to everyone who responded.
Sat down this morning to test out the various suggestions.
Before doing this I decided to make up the two component footprints and was surprised
to find that I could place them on to a pcb AND place components `under' them without
any problems at all. Wasn't sure why this was the case at first as I had based the
assumption of the potential problem on the fact that you can't put two resistors or
capacitors together without getting a conflict. Realised soon after that Protel
ignores the component outline (which is on the Top Overlay Layer) taking note only of
the pads. So you can freely place pads or components with in another component as long
as you do not infringe the pad clearance rules. This works perfect for what I need (an
LCD module with four fixing holes and a 16-way SIL connector, and a 4x4 keypad with
four fixing holes and an 8-way SIL connector. I can appreciate that if the components
had considerably more `pad content' that there would be a bigger problem in trying to
position other components.
The only drawback with this approach is that when selecting components within the
footprint you get the `popup select component dialog' more an inconvenience than
anything else.
Once again thanks to all those who responded.

Best Regards
Laurie Biddulph
http://www.elby-designs.com