> The only drawback with this approach is that when selecting components
within the footprint > you get the `popup select component dialog' more an
inconvenience than anything else.

Consider it a "feature", not an inconvenience (or bug).  It's better for
Protel to ask you which object you want, rather than making you move the
unwanted objects just to get to the one you want.  Older versions of Protel
(i.e. 2.8), you have to do that.

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.