In a message dated 1/5/2004 2:40:04 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I need to place two large components on a pcb that will actually be on
> spacers and connected to the main board by short wire links. As the items are
> relatively large (one of them is one of those standard 2- or 4-line LCD modules)
> the footprint for these will be quite large yet be basically empty - there
> will be four spacers, one for each corner, plus a short multi-way connector.
> Is there any way of creating this as a component footprint so that it may be
> correctly moved and position on the main board yet still allow Protel to
> freely place components and tracks in the free area under these components?
>
> As the position of the spacers relative to the connector is fairly critical
> it is preferable that this is one single component.

I do this sort of thing often. Just build the component normally, using pads
for the mounting standoffs. Be sure the pads include holes of the appropriate
size, and make the pads large enough to completely contain the hardware
(screwhead, nut, washer, etc.) so that you won't have any conflicts electrically.
Turn off the component clearance rule; it's so worthless anyway that I always
leave it off. I just make sure that my silkscreen outlines include the full IPC
clearance areas, and place the components so that the silkscreens touch on a
tight design. But the Protel component clearance rules are pretty worthless, in
my experience.

Steve Hendrix