> So.. I wonder if you can set up a 'component footprint' specific design
rule
> that allows zero minimum component clearance between itself and all other
> components.  You would probably need to then ensure the connector/mounting
> pads were given their specific rules that emulated the normal clearance
> requirements.  Never tried this myself but if you give it a go, let me
know
> how you get on.
>
> Regards,
> Jim

    This is the way I usually work.  As discovered by some of the EDA
readers here a year or so back, my default clearance design rule is '0' by
default.  My silkscreen within my public online custom library exactly
defines the outer physical restrictions for it's component placement.  As
mentioned back then, I specialized in hand-held electronic devices where
super compact placement was the main goal.  It turns out that the 0
clearance rule ended up being useful with all of my design work.

_____________
Brian Guralnick

> It has just occurred to me that I may have been missing the obvious on
this
> one for years.
> I use customised design rules for all sorts of 'one-off' exceptions in
> respect to copper.  While this facility is darn fiddly to drive, it is
> actually pretty clever when you figure out what kind of dope the
programmer
> was on at the time of writing.
>
> So.. I wonder if you can set up a 'component footprint' specific design
rule
> that allows zero minimum component clearance between itself and all other
> components.  You would probably need to then ensure the connector/mounting
> pads were given their specific rules that emulated the normal clearance
> requirements.  Never tried this myself but if you give it a go, let me
know
> how you get on.
>
> Regards,
> Jim