It is a sad fact that Altium would prefer to listen to the 'few' than the
many as regards how their tools are now styled, viewed and the direction
that they have taken.

By the few I mean the 'yes' men who will agree to anything from Altium that
betters their own needs, it is a shame that Altium cannot think for
themselves in this respect. Just because certain users can communicate well
with Altium (speak software developer language well) does not make their
guidance on product direction a good thing, or a fair representation of the
user base as a whole.

But when success is measured in pure $$$$$ at the bottom line of the
companies books instead of product quality, or user base, it is very common
for successful companies to believe that first, they can do no wrong (based
purely on their financial success and not on the product), second, their
users are locked to them so they can do what they want, third, their own
opinion (and that of their loyal followers and advocates) is more important
than the user base as a whole.

Generally companies fooled into a train of thought like this will 'skip'
user complaints or good suggestions that do not fit their master plan or
take a 'blinkered' view if it does not come from a source they like and will
never admit their error to themselves, and so they become isolated from the
majority of their user base.

Again IMO the trend is to restyle the Enviroment to resemble a software IDE
which better suits the FPGA tools integration (or take over), a useful
evolution indeed, and re-positions Altium tools pretty well, but I think the
core reason is that it is easier for the developers to produce an Enviroment
THEY would like, THEY understand, find NATURAL for THEM or use, than spend
the time to ask and understand what the PCB designers would actually like.

Despite its market re-positioning, I don't think the FPGA tools will stand
up well to other FPGA tool vendors on their own, so treating the PCB tools
as the poor cousins is a bad decision and IMO a mistake.

Feature and functionality wise DXP/2004 is a big improvement, but I have
seen nothing added in DXP/2004 that could not have been left inside the 99SE
GUI (no retraining, no new skills needed, just more productive tools), but
as said above, that would have been a lot harder for developers to meet the
UI requirements at the same time as considering the needs of the PCB
designer.

How many software developers do you know that would prefer DOS boxes brought
back and return everyone to command line entries :-) ? Er, no thanks. Sound
familiar (query language, scripting.......)

Altium have did it very badly IMO (glad I am not alone) to the point that
the pain is in some cases, simply not worth the gain, due to making simple
things harder (un-natural for non software familiar people) to do.

Like others, I converted many of my customers from other vendors products to
98/99 purely on its ease of use, short learning curve, stability and I would
happily have stood my ground to defend statements I made to promote
P98/P99SE when challenged.

I cannot in honesty do this with DXP/2004, I would need to respond that
unless you do FPGA or need Multi Channel design, you do not gain that much
more. I think Altium have seriously underestimated this type of 'sale by
recommendation' outlet. Big mistake. I guess they can expect the same from
the PCAD community when they move them to the DXP platform.

It's a hard and sometimes lonely path to get a good reputation, it's a lot
easier to get a bad one. Which path Altium are on, only time will tell.

Could I go on about this all day, yes, but that would be boring for all as
it is really repetition of all that has gone before as well as being ignored
by Altium because it is not what Altium likes to hear.

John

 Reagan