Nukien wrote:

Hi All -

Somewhat offtopic here ...  I'm currently a 99SE devout user - we haven't
made the switch to 2004 yet.  I've been discussing it with some colleagues,
and a couple of them have gone to Mentor's PADS 2004 product.  They're still
new at it, but are definitely singing praises.

Does anyone else here have any experience with it at all ?  I would dread
the learning curve - going to DXP/2004 while still a curve, is at least in
the same family/paradigm.  I would really like to hear what some of the pros
and cons are between DXP/2004 and PADS/2004.

Not really experience, just a colleague who uses Pads. From what i could gleam, Pads is offering more features. I could start listing some examples but it'd be just a start. Nevertheless Pads cost a lot more,
he's shelling out in the order of 4k$ per year to keep it updated.
Keeping himself uptodate also requires a bit more than with protel.
DXP by the way lifted the level of minimal monthly work hours against 99SE, by being far less intuitive, or perhaps I'm just not there yet.

My point is : depending on how many hours per month average you're going to spend you can select the tool. PCAD is also an option for the
more professional user than I am with say 5 days monthly.

Rene