John A. Ross [RSDTV] wrote:

What I would strongly advise is that you make a design spec, say a small micro that flashes some LEDs, well, it may as well look good, and do it in the most complex and difficult way.

Keep notes & times on this exercise, likes dislikes, put 1 LED per sheet, the micro on
another, draw
ALL the Decals/Footprints yourself, bring the design into PowerPCB and make a complex
board outline
and a few copper / board cut-outs and some polygons / copper pours. Then produce the
fab files (if
you use your own SMT place equipment then you will like the CAM outputs)

Now repeat exactly the same process & design in Protel and when you are finished compare notes.

Then you will have a well formed opinion and substance to back it up when confronting
your
colleagues.

Anytime I have seen some-one that impressed with a Pads demo was when it is done by an
experienced
Pads user/sales person.

While that would be great it is not payable in terms of time spent to become familiar. Rather spend a day with a professional user and go through all that.

Rene
--
Ing.Buro R.Tschaggelar http://www.ibrtses.com
Your newsgroups @  http://www.talkto.net